Friday, March 9, 2012

Family House

As most of you know since moving here in November 2009 I have been unable to work on my visa, so I like to spend my time volunteering at local organizations.

Last year I heard about a place called Family House in San Francisco. 

Founded in 1981, Family House is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization providing temporary housing to families of seriously ill children receiving treatment at the University of California San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital. 

I met with the volunteer co-coordinator  last month and discussed volunteering and arranged to go in once a month and bake for/with the families.

This week was the first time I volunteered and I went in and baked cookies for the families. I baked a total of 51 cookies whilst I was there and it was a lot of fun, and nice to meet and chat with some of the families who were staying there, and a few of them helped me out decorating the cookies.. I'm looking forward to going back and baking for them again next month.


Family House are always looking for volunteers, so check out their website and if you have a few hours to spare they would love to have you come along and help out. There are lots of different ways you can help out, or even ways you can donate to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment