Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays


There seems to be a lot of heated discussions about the whole Christmas/Holiday thing this year.  I've not noticed this in previous years, but I guess this is a sign of the multicultural world we really do live in.
I remember growing up and going to a C of E school, we sang Christmas carols at school, sent Christmas cards to our fellow pupils, and ALWAYS did the Christmas Nativity each year. Nowadays schools are unable to do things like this through fear of excluding or promoting certain religious beliefs.
I volunteer at a preschool and in my class only 3 of the children celebrate Christmas, so we haven't done anything Christmasy with them. I wonder how schools in England deal with this nowadays, and if they are openly able to celebrate Christmas, and also how schools in other parts of the US do things at this time of year.
Living in San Francisco, there are so many cultures and religions, and I find it interesting learning about them all. I was in my late 20's before I met anyone who wasn't Christian or Catholic, now I know people from a variety of religions. I did have Religious Education lessons at school, which touched briefly on different religions, but it wasn't really a big thing, I think it is good that children learn about so many different things at such an early age now, and feel that this will hopefully make the future generations a lot less racist and more accepting of others beliefs.

So to all my blog readers I wish you a very Merry Christmas and if you don't celebrate Christmas - Happy Holidays.

Also for those of you who didn't already know this is my favorite Christmas song
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY


No comments:

Post a Comment