Friday, December 3, 2010

Gyros

We have been in the US for 12 months, and tonight I discovered gyros :) For those of you in England who may have not heard of this dish, its basically a doner kebab, something I have missed having since moving here. The gyro I had just consisted of pita bread, lamb/beef meat (cut from an elephant leg style piece of meat!!), onions, lettuce, tomato and tzatzki. Not quite the same as a good old doner but very very tasty. I will definitely be having another one.
Those of you in America, if you have never had a doner kebab complete with chili sauce, then you havent lived, especially if you have never had one when sober!!
Apparently (according to the husband) he knew about this and never told me!! also its pronounced 'yiro' not 'giro', no wonder the takeout place asked me twice to repeat what I wanted!!!
Gyro
Doner kebab


1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying reading your blog - my husband and I are also moving out to California (San Jose) from the UK (Hampshire) in January and have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel coming with us. It's great to hear about some of the differences between the UK and the US and about your experiences so far. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete