Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pancake Day

Happy Pancake Day - today is also known in different parts of the world as Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday and Shrove Tuesday. Being British I like to call today pancake day.

A little bit of history about today, today is supposed the be the day you eat all the fattening food in your house in preparation for lent which begins tomorrow, when you should then give up something for the next 47 days until Easter, traditionally fattening things like butter and milk (hence the pancakes). This is based on the Christian church, but I know lots of people who aren't religious also give up something for this period. Not me though, I like everything too much!

So back to the important things the pancakes. I have just had my pancakes with sugar and lemon - which I think is the most traditional way to have them (although I could be wrong), but it's what I've had for the last 30+ years.  One thing that I did notice this year is how there were a lot of people in the UK who didn't know it was pancake day today - I always remember seeing pancake mix and lemons everywhere leading up to today, but maybe its a dieing tradition - I hope not :(

The recipe I used today was Pancakes British Style
I halved the recipe and used fat free milk, and 'fake' sugar and I used cooking spray instead of butter in the frying pan. It worked out as 8 weight watchers points, and for that I got 4 decent sized pancakes. They are also super nice with nutella or strawberries and bananas.


Make sure the pan is nice and hot, and just pour in a small amount of batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook for approx 2 mins on each side until it starts to go golden brown and makes that pretty pancake pattern!


I like to sprinkle sugar and lemon on the plate as well as on top of the pancake.



















Roll the pancake and enjoy.


Apologies to all my American friends but I have to say English pancakes are so much yummier than American pancakes, although American pancakes are good in small doses.

No comments:

Post a Comment